Friday, December 25, 2009

MY MOTHER'S SIDE OF THE FAMILY

is Danish and the only Danish tradition I know is Ebelskivers.
Luckily, I got my own pan and my sister-in-law taught me how to make them a few years ago. I had eaten them but never made them myself. It's a hit with our family and the boys LOVE it when we make these.
We started out our Christmas with this delicious traditional Danish breakfast....

The recipe I use is:
2 c. buttermilk
2 c. flour
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. sugar
Beat whites. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and add sugar, salt and buttermilk. Add soda and baking powder. Fold in beaten egg whites. Grease Ebelskiver iron and fill cups half full. Cook and turn. Serve warm with butter, jelly, syrup, powdered sugar or any other toppings you might like.

My great grandmother refused to have Danish spoken in her home and sadly, along with that, Danish customs and a lot of our heritage wasn't passed down.

If you know of any Danish customs, I'd love to hear about them.....

7 comments:

Family Fun said...

I hope you had a very merry Christmas.:)
The food looks delicious!

Ivon said...

Maybe I will need to get an ebelskiver pan so Nancy can learn a Danish custom.

Sherri said...

I have never had ebelskiver's but I will be buying a pan and making them for Mark!
Mark's dad is 100% danish...and his dad's sisters are very much into heritage and traditions. I will pass the ones I learn to you!
I have a favorite Christmas Eve tradition that they do...that we are going to do on New Years Eve this year. We can't skip a tradition....so I would tell you now, but then you'll know my whole post!
His Aunt passed down an old danish cookbook for me...I love it!

Nancy said...

Your Greatgrandma Rae was afraid my Grandpa and my Greatgrandma Daniels were talking about her in Danish. Makes you think maybe the two women were'nt to fond of one another. To bad, that made generations not having Danish traditions handed down.

Laura said...

Sherri~ We SOOOOOO need to talk. Can't wait!!

Katie said...

Those sound and look so tasty! I'm so trying these.

Portia Cason said...

They had a stall for these at the Christmas market in York when we went ice skating and I TOTALLY ate my own weight in them! Sooooo gooood.

Related Posts with Thumbnails