Sunday, February 7, 2010

I HAD MY FIRST TASTE OF THAI CHICKEN

soup with coconut milk and galangal.

We made a few changes to the recipe (due to allergic reactions from muah) and it was delicious, different and did I say, DELICIOUS!

4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup Thai fish sauce (we left that out so I wouldn't die from throat closure)
2 inch section of galangal (we couldn't find it at our supermarket so we used ginger)
Juice of 1 lime
2 crushed wild lime leaves (we couldn't find it at our supermarket so we used lime zest)
1/4 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups cabbage
1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
1 bunch roughly chopped cilantro leaves
2 - 10 to taste small red chilies, slightly crushed (I have an ultra wimpy mouth so we used Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce and we put in 1 tsp into each bowl)

Bring chicken stock, lime, zest and ginger to a boil and simmer 20 minutes. Strain and discard all items from broth.

Add chicken breast, coconut milk and cabbage and return to a boil. Lower heat until chicken is cooked through (about 5 minutes). Garnish with cilantro leaves and chili sauce.

If you try this recipe, let me know what you think!

9 comments:

Charlene said...

If I made this, I'd have to leave the coconut milk out for my mom's allergies.

Isn't it funny what our bodies react to?

Looks like it was yum-yum-yummy

Eric Devericks said...

Can't wait to try it!

5Youngers said...

Looks yummy!!! and I would probably have to leave out any hot spice due to my ultra ultra wimpy mouth :-)

Kim said...

Looks like something Jay would love ~ I'll have to try this out for him!

Ivon said...

I am glad you liked it. I don't think I will be trying it any time soon. :)

Nancy said...

It sounds good, I think I'll make it for your Dad sometime soon ;)

The Steve said...

Tom Kha soup is awesome. I cannot believe you've never had it before now ?

If you're having problems breathing, just do what Landon advised me...just breathe through your mouth ^_^

Laura said...

That was SO funny! He's so smart :-)

The Mulligan Family said...

Mmm... sounds yummy. I love that kind of soup!

Related Posts with Thumbnails