Thursday, March 3, 2011

I KNOW I'M GETTING OLDER BUT

in my mind, I'm still young and still invincible. Tragedies happen to others. Not our family. The deaths I have experienced have been with grandparents, and albeit sad, they were old and can be justified.
When I was 17 I lived with my aunt, uncle and cousins. They are my second family. They are not my aunt and uncle, they are my other mom and dad. My cousins are my brothers and sister.
Tuesday I got the worst phone call of my life. One I thought I wouldn't hear until we were "old". My cousin is only 44 and had a heart attack at work. He is leaving behind a gorgeous wife and four beautiful/handsome children. He loved his family so much, was a hard worker, loved to hunt, loved life, had the funniest goofy laugh that you just couldn't help yourself to laugh with him and was the king of teasers. 44 is too young to be called back home.
I know we believe families are forever and I know we will all see him again but the pain in my heart is so painful, I'm wondering 'why?' and my heart is breaking for his wife and children, his mother and father, brother and sister. They were all best friends.
I'll be with them soon, to hug them and cry with them. I wish I could take away the ache and pain of torn hearts.
Hug your family tight. Tell them you love them. We forget we are not invincible.

9 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Ardith Haws said...

This is really a beautiful post. Thank you for the heartfelt reminder of our fragile lives. My heart is aching for your dear family.

Kim said...

Very wise words....I know your family will definitely appreciate your love and support when you arrive in Utah.

The Mulligan Family said...

Beautiful and touching words and sentiments Laura. Loss is NEVER easy... but when it happens with someone so young and vibrant you can't help but wonder and ask why. I'm sending you lots oflove and strength to get through the coming days.

neffie said...

Beautiful post Laura.

The Tate Family said...

Laura,
I am so sorry your family has to go through this right now! Please know I am thinking of you and hope that peace will come!

Katie said...

Oh Laura, I am so sorry that this has happened to your family. What a hard thing to go through. I love this post and your words totally hit home. Love your guts, friend!

Charlene said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you'll be able to be with family to share in their grief and loss. My thoughts and prayers will be with you during this difficult time.

Sherri said...

This is a great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails