Thursday, April 2, 2009

CALLING ALL MOMS!

My 4 year old, Landon, has an incredible imagination that is on constantly.
24/7 he is someone else, something else or is somewhere else.

He has been in a 'phase' for a while where he is frightened to be alone. Day or night.

He thinks there are pirates, bad guys, monsters, you name it that come out when he is by himself.

My two older boys didn't go through this phase and I have run out of ideas on how to reassure him that he is safe, our family is safe and our house is a safe haven.


Do you have any ideas on how I can help this wee one of mine?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

9 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

I've heard of letting the kid sleep with a flashlight to turn on and point where they think something is located. It also might help to let him check under the bed and in the closet before bed to reassure himself that nothing is there.

I had a bit of the same problem and would sleep as far toward the middle of the bed as possible, with nothing sticking out of the covers. (It probably didn't help that our babysitter would scoot my bed near my sister's and make us jump from one to the other while he lay underneath and tried to snag us by the ankle and drag us to our "demise"-- I might not suggest doing it)

Good luck!

Ivon said...

I know he feels safe upstairs with Grandma and Papa. :)

5Youngers said...

The only thing that I can think of is.... when Alivia kept having horrible fire dreams after her friend was killed in that house fire, we would give her an object that we told her would make her safe. You can pick anything and tell him that whatever the object is, is his safe harbor.

Other than that I got nothing.

The Mulligan Family said...

Others have already suggested what I was going to say. Give those idea a try and if they don't work - we'll come up with something else.

Anonymous said...

You can tell him to suck it up and be a man!

With love, Derek :-)

MRNMSA said...

little Annika is a afraid of witches, and this came after halloween a few years ago. So in her bottom bunk bed, I put a picture of Jesus in the slats of the bed above her, and she is surroned by her little dolls and teddy bears. We also tell her our dog "gets" the bad guys! Hope something helps!

The Steve said...

Something like this may help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxggi47Cq68

Laura said...

Steve, you are hilarious!!

Laura said...

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails