Thursday, September 29, 2011

I AM INTRIGUED BY MY

2nd great-grandfather, George W. Huntzinger, (1851-1944), who lived an interesting, mischievous and somewhat mysterious life. I'm having so much fun getting to know him while putting the pieces of his life together.The photo I'm holding, in the above photo, is a parade on this street. The cute, elderly gentleman, holding the American flag, is George.
We found the Elk's Lodge where he was a member. The Elk's lodge was his life and they called him 'Dad" Huntzinger, which I think is so sweet. According to Ripley's Believe It Or Not, this Elk's Lodge building is the tallest, 3-story brick, building in the world. The lodge has moved and this building is now an antique mall.
George lived on one of the main streets in town, in an apartment above a store, but unfortunately, the building had been torn down.

He died at age 92, in Globe, where he had lived for almost 40 years. We found him in the Globe Cemetery, thanks to the Gila County Historical Museum, but was so sad to see that someone had stolen his burial marker. Getting that replaced is on the top of my list.

Although I was hoping to find a plethora of information on George, I'm happy with the information I was able to verify and thrilled to see where he called home.

3 comments:

Full House said...

interesting about the tallest brick building. Also what a cool thing that you brought that photo along in the top picture.

Ivon said...

I enjoyed this trip to Globe. I was a little sad to see that the family didn't get him a proper headstone. I agree, we need to fix it.

Sherri said...

2nd car lot was in Globe and I never saw all of this! what was I thinking???

Related Posts with Thumbnails