Tuesday, December 4, 2012

25 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS - DAY 4

Spritz cookies.

I grew up with spritz cookies being made every Christmas.  My mother got a cookie press when she was a newlywed and spritz cookies were one of the recipes that came with it.  She had never heard of them before, so she decided to try it.  She fell in love with these buttery morsels and a family tradition was born.
These cookies get made many times in December at our lair - the man clan gobble them up quickly!

Spritz Cookies

2 sticks butter**
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg**
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and flavorings.  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture.  Use a cookie press to put dough on a baking sheet.  Garnish with colored sugar or sprinkles.  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

** To make vegan, substitute butter for Earth Balance and Ener G for the egg.

5 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

I grew up with them, too! In our house we tint some of the dough green for the trees and decorate with red sprinkles (that's how I grew up doing it). And sometimes I dunk the tops in a little powdered sugar glaze.

Sherri said...

I have never tried these..do I have to have a cookie press?

Laura said...

Jana, we dye the dough sometimes too but I haven't tried the glaze. Yum!

Sherri, yes you do. I have a pampered chef cookie press and love it!

Laura said...

Jana, we dye the dough sometimes too but I haven't tried the glaze. Yum!

Sherri, yes you do. I have a pampered chef cookie press and love it!

neffie said...

You don't have to have a cookie press, I still make them and I put them in small balls and use a fork to squash them like you do with peanut butter cookies. They just won't be in cool christmas shapes :-)

I LOVE spritz cookies!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails