Monday, January 5, 2009

ONE OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES

is Chicken Tortilla Soup.

I've combined a few recipes over the years and this is what I've come up with.

It is easy, fast (under 30 minutes), low-fat and I think it's delicious....

1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBSP olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into small cubes
4 ounce can green chilies, chopped
15 ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped and reserve the juice
2 - 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
15 ounce can black beans
15 ounce can cannellini beans
1 tsp lemon pepper
2 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP cumin
4 TBSP flour
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
cooked rice
garnishes: sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips

In a large saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the oil until softened. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes, until it is just cooked through. Add the chilies, tomatoes with their juice, broth and spices and simmer for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine flour and water and whisk into the soup. Bring soup to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.

Put cooked rice in each bowl and ladle soup on top. Garnish as desired with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips.

One of my favorite Christmas presents was given to me by my friend Rachael - a new crock pot.

I cooked this soup in it today and let it simmer all afternoon.

Hmmmm, hmmmm good and SO easy! Thanks Rachael!

5 comments:

Shalyse said...

um...YUMMM!!! I will try that!

The Mulligan Family said...

Sounds delish! Can't wait to try it.

Ivon said...

Taste real good!

MRNMSA said...

You're welcome Laura! I'm glad you liked it so much, and are already using it. Now....I'm going to haveta try this recipe!

5Youngers said...

I always get chicken tortilla soup at Red Robin because I love it so much. Yours is wonderful. I'm glad you posted it because I'm cutting and pasting right now. Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails