Sunday, January 25, 2009

TOMORROW IS CHINESE NEW YEAR

Our Monday evening meal will be pot stickers, twice cooked chicken served with rice, sesame green beans, Asian pear crumble and of course, fortune cookies with my own fortunes in them.

Here's a recipe to make your own:


1/4 cup flour
1 egg white, beaten stiff
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp oil1 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
1/4 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, and oil. Fold in egg white. Add vanilla and water.


In a small skillet (non-stick or lightly oiled), over medium heat, pour 1 tablespoon of batter, spreading it out into a 3" circle. Cook 4 minutes until lightly browned.Turn with spatula and cook 1 more minute. Remove from the pan (careful - it will be hot!).

Place paper fortune strip in center of circle. Fold in half over the edge of a glass, and then bend to form Fortune-cookie shape. Hold until cool, or place in an egg carton to hold the shape until the cookies firm up.

I know fortune cookies are Chinese American, but they are so fun!

4 comments:

Eric Devericks said...

Seriously...... do you ever do anything half way? You are amazing!

5Youngers said...

What a great idea. I'm going to try out the fortune cookies.

Portia Cason said...

Thank you for this. I'm totally unprepared this year and I'm going to make these!

Charlene said...

You are awesome!!! I've got a recipe to make fortune cookies, but have never tried them. Maybe I should make some "R" rated ones for my hubby for Valentine's day?

Related Posts with Thumbnails