Thursday, March 11, 2010

A MEMBER OF MY MAN CLAN IS TURNING

5 on Saturday, so sister power was activated tonight. We're a great team and like to burn the midnight oil.
Inspiration for the cake came from this post, but I used this fondant recipe..

Last night I made the fondant and let it set up overnight.
Then earlier today I made two 9x13 cakes, layered them with buttercream frosting and cut them into a number 5....
Tonight, many dye jobs later, much like my sister's hair, we had a multi color assortment of fondant shapes....

Fondant was smoothed on the cake and shapes were put into place. It's hard to tell with this lighting, but the base fondant color is sky blue...

Our finished product is a cake that will surprise the birthday boy.

We just hope he isn't disappointed it isn't Luigi on top - his favorite but he was sold out.
It would have taken me FOREVER to finish this cake, (my first solo after this class), thanks Steph for all your help - you are the best mushroom maker!!....

18 comments:

Portia Cason said...

Seeeeee...you can't put amazing stuff like this on your blog after looking at my blog!!! ;)
That's an adorable, amazing cake! I can't wait to see pictures of his reaction. I want one for my next birthday.

Kim said...

That is absolutely fabulous!!! I love it! Great job to both of you ~ I'm thinking I need to learn how to make fondant because that is cooler than any cake I've ever frosted and better than any store bought cake I've ever seen!!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I just have no words for this. I have never, and will never, produce a cake that looks this good. He will LOVE it. Very special.

Sherri said...

I love making cakes...and that rocks! I totally need to copy! Luke will love it. Can you help me make it in October?

Ardith Haws said...

Oh my stars, Laura! This is amazing. I think that may be the cutest cake I've ever seen. You are brilliant.

Mary Kelly said...

What a work of love! I am sure he will be SO surprised. It is almost too cute to eat- almost.

The Laundry Queen said...

Awesome cake! I've got one turning 5 soon, too, and it looks like a car cake is in my future.

Nancy said...

You did an amazing job on the cake (I love the comment about "after many dye jobs, like my sisters hair)!!! He is going to love it and say, "where's Luigi?" BUT he'll love it!!! I see many fondant cakes in your future ;) You and Stephanie make a great team!!!!

5Youngers said...

Oh my word... I LOVE THIS CAKE! FABULOUS!

Family Fun said...

WOW...great cake. Looks like a lot of work from a mom who loves her birthday boy.

Happy Birthday little man!!!

Charlene said...

Beautiful job on the cake! That fondant on the five looks SO smooth!

Both Brent and I cracked up on your dye job comment - good thing your sister loves you!

The Arnold Family said...

You're AMAZING...that's all I can say...AMAZING

Laura said...

Thanks for all the nice comments on the cake! :-)

Ruthie said...

That is absolutely and awesome cake!

Katie said...

I LOVE this cake! You guys did such a great job.

Baller family said...

Ooohhhh...the cake looks fantastic!! I love it!

Full House said...

Oh my goodness that is truly a masterpiece.

Love it! was it hard to want to eat it after all of that hard work?

The Mulligan Family said...

Super cute! Great job Laura and Stephanie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails