Thursday, September 16, 2010

VEGETABLE MISO SOUP

The great thing about this soup is that you can use any combo of vegetables you like - anything that sounds good to you at the moment.
I got it out of Alicia Silverstone's vegan book The Kind Diet....
1/2 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
1/4 red onion, cut into large chunks
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
3-4 broccoli florets
1/2 medium leek, halved and cut into large chunks (make sure you swirl in a bowl of water to dislodge any grit)
Ginger juice to taste (grate a 1" piece of ginger and squeeze out the juice with your fingers)
Shoyu, to taste
3 teaspoons miso
1 whole scallion, thinly sliced on the diagonal

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add carrot. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add celery, broccoli, and leek.
Add ginger juice and shoyu to the broth, to taste.
Simmer until all the vegetables are cooked through but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes.
Dilute miso with a little soup broth and add it to the soup and allow to simmer 2-3 minutes. Do not boil.
Add scallion and turn off the heat.
Optional - top each serving with watercress, mochi and nori. (I didn't and the soup tasted great)

PS - I have discovered I don't like daikon but if you like it, the recipe calls for 1/4 medium diakon, cut into large chunks.
PPS - I don't like mushrooms either, but if you like them, add 4 button mushrooms, sliced and 2-3 trumpet mushrooms, sliced.

2 comments:

Ardith Haws said...

I wish something would "motivate" me to eat healthier. I'm sorry you have had troubles but I think you are making the most of it. Atta girl!

Nancy said...

It sounds pretty good. I'm glad you're finding great new recipes to eat. It seems like you are adjusting well to your new challenge. I'm proud of you and love you ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails